Scholarships and prizes are awarded annually and administered by Trustees of AFGW-NSW Inc Education Trust. Please note that the value of scholarships may vary from year to year at the discretion of the Trustees.
Branches award prizes at their own discretion.
Description of Awards – AFGW NSW
JAMIESON AWARD – OPEN
The Australian Federation of Graduate Women – NSW Inc. offers annual awards to outstanding women students who completed the final year of their first degree in 2015. NOTE: Preference will be given to applicants with significant community involvement and preferably proceeding to approved further study.
Value: The Award for 2016 will be $A2000.00.
- Women students who completed the final year of their first degree in 2015 at any university in NSW or Canberra
- Students enrolled in double degrees may only apply when the final year of the first part of this degree was completed in 2015
- Candidates may be studying in any field but a special Molly Price award may be offered to a suitable science student
- Preference will be given to applicants with very significant community involvement and preferably proceeding to approved further study
- Must be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency in Australia and be able to provide proof.
Completed online application form should be submitted to the AFGW-NSW Inc by 30 April 2016. No applications will be considered after this date. No other form of application will be accepted.
You are responsible for ensuring your application is complete. An electronic notification of the receipt of your application will be sent but this does NOT mean its content has been checked. Incomplete applications will be rejected as assessment commences. If you do not receive notification that your application has been sent/received please contact the office on firstname.lastname@example.org
Referees will only be contacted for short listed candidates.
The Trustees hope to announce the results by 1 July 2016.
For application form, click Jamieson Award application
All information is available on the website.
Hilda Jamieson’s Biography
DR BARBARA WRIGHT POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP – CENTRAL WEST – CLOSED FOR 2016
The Dr Barbara Wright Postgraduate Scholarship is offered by the Central West Branch in alternate years. This scholarship is available to women living in the Central West of NSW who will be undertaking a postgraduate degree/research.
HSC SCHOLARSHIP FOR STUDENTS IN THE COWRA-CANOWINDRA AREA – CENTRAL WEST – OPEN
The Cowra-Canowindra Higher School Certificate Scholarship ($2,000) is awarded annually to a female who both lives in and has attended school in the Cowra-Canowindra area. She will have an excellent ATAR result and will have been accepted for university. The winner will be chosen by a panel of 3 of our members. For full details and eligibility click Criteria.
JOAN RITCHIE AWARD* – NEW
This is a newly created annual award for a mature student in her second year of study, having completed the first year of study at a satisfactory academic level, who can demonstrate significant disadvantage.
Value: The Scholarship for 2016 will be $1500
- Date of birth before 1 January 1991
- In the second year of a full time course for any degree at any university in NSW or Canberra, with a minimum of credit level in all first year subjects
- Demonstrate significant disadvantage:
Have overcome or are overcoming disadvantage in the pursuit of your studies.
Disadvantage may include:
Financial difficulty or low income
English as a second language
Migrant or refugee status
Disability or medical condition
Geographical isolation/significant distance from campus
Family crisis or difficult family environment
Career/ Study disruption
Other difficult circumstances
- Be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency in Australia
- Completed online application form should be submitted to the AFGW-NSW Inc by 30 April 2016 No applications will be considered after this date
- The Trustees hope to announce the award of the Scholarship by 1 July 2016
- *GUIDELINES AND APPLICATION FORM DETAILS TO BE POSTED ASAP.
JOAN BIELSKI SCHOLARSHIP – AWARDED IN 2017
SUBMISSIONS CLOSING DATE: 28 FEBRUARY 2017
The AFGW NSW Education Trust invites applications for this scholarship from woman aged over 35, who have fulfilled the entrance requirements for a first course at university in NSW or the ACT and can demonstrate hardship. Candidates must be Australian citizens or permanent residents.
Long time AFGW NSW member, Joan Bielski AO, was a leading Australian feminist who left school at fourteen and only after service in the WAAF was she able to attend university as a returned service woman. Her wish was to enable other women to get this second chance to attend university and she left a generous bequest to achieve this. Donations from her family and friends completed the funding.
An award of $5,000 twice per annum will be given, for up to three years subject to satisfactory academic achievement.
Download the GUIDELINES and APPLICATION FORM here. Please read the guidelines carefully and direct any further enquiries to the Fellowships Convener on email@example.com Please find a Biography of Joan Bielski AO here.
THE TEMPE MANN TRAVELLING SCHOLARSHIP – OPEN JUNE 2016
The Trustees of the Education Trust of the Australian Federation of Graduate Women — NSW Inc. invite applications from women enrolled as research masters or research doctoral degree students at The University of Sydney, or those who have a first degree or masters from the University of Sydney and are enrolled for a research doctorate at another university within NSW or Canberra, for the TEMPE MANN TRAVELLING SCHOLARSHIP 2016. The Scholarship is awarded to a woman to undertake a short period of advanced research or course work in any field, at an overseas university or equivalent organisation. Applications will also be considered for similar periods of research or course work at interstate institutions though preference will be given to applicants needing to travel overseas.
Value: The Scholarship for 2016 will be up to $A15,000 and applicants must justify each item of the amount requested in a detailed budget. The funds requested can be used only for the items identified in the budget and related to the proposed study program.
Tenure: The scholarship will be taken up in 2017-18 for a period to be agreed by the Trustees.
- Be enrolled as a research masters or research doctoral degree student at The University of Sydney, or have a first degree or masters from the University of Sydney and be enrolled for a doctorate at another university within NSW or in Canberra
- Have proof of acceptance by the overseas university or Australian University (or equivalent organisation) at which she proposes to conduct the research (not where you are currently enrolled)
- Establish the necessity for overseas/interstate study/research
- Be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency in Australia
- Short listed candidates will be required to attend an interview in Sydney in November.
- A written or verbal report will be presented at the conclusion of the study period
- Acknowledgement of the Tempe Mann Travelling Scholarship will be made in any related publications.
- Completed online application form should be submitted to the AFGW-NSW Inc by 30 September 2016. No applications will be considered after this date
- The Trustees expect to announce the award of the Scholarship by 1 December 2016
INTERNATIONAL FELLOWSHIPS – For research, study and training
GWI is a worldwide organisation uniting graduate women of which AFGW Inc (and thus AFGW NSW Inc) are affiliates. Please visit the GWI website for more information on postgraduate GWI Fellowships. NSW applicants must be members of AFGW NSW to apply. Applications are made through our Federal organisation AFGW Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org
2016 JAUW INTERNATIONAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME
Japanese Association of University Women (JAUW) is now calling for Applications for its 2016 International Fellowships.
Purpose: to offer funding to financially help MAs, or pre-doctoral or dissertation level students and postdoctoral researchers of younger age come and stay in Japan to pursue their ongoing study/research.
Amount: ¥700,000 to ¥1,000,000 yen. The amount granted will vary depending on the duration of stay in Japan and other factors which will be taken into consideration.
Eligibility: Open to women of any nationality other than Japanese, living outside Japan at the time of application. Members of GWI and its NFAs (National Federations and Associations – eg: AFGW NSW) will be given preference.
Terms: This grant is for 5 to 6 months between September 2016 and March 2017. One third of the total amount will be paid at the time of your arrival in Japan. The rest will normally be paid within 40 days after the initial payment. However, the latter amount (i.e. two thirds of the total) may be payable in two or three installments, taking into account various circumstances surrounding the grantee in Japan.
Deadline: Applications must be received by March 31, 2016
INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS FOR WOMEN
Please visit the following links for other international scholarships available for women students. Any external links do not constitute an endorsement by AFGW NSW. AFGW NSW bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or subsequent links.
AFGW NSW past scholarship and prize presentations:
USYD Tish Proctor Awards UWS Prize giving 2014 Tempe Mann Winner